Monday, December 13, 2010

Poor Tanner

Tanner had his appointment with the allergy doctor today. He was unexpectedly happy for most of it. Thanks to Grandma K for the small toys to play with during the testing, it helped a lot. We did a prick test on his back for peanuts, tree nuts and egg whites.


The results are that he is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts, but not eggs. We are looking at the eggs as a huge blessing, because let's face it, that would stink!
Then we did a blood test to see the levels of histamine in his body after the tests. I almost cried, because, hey who wants to see their kid in pain?
Here he is after the test, he was pretty mad, but the teddy bear with matching owie made him feel a lot better.


Now we wait for the doctor to call us about that and we start reading labels more carefully. I have a list of things to stay away from. I wish that every box and can in the grocery store had a sticker on it that said, this is okay for Tanner to eat. Oh well, I guess I will learn.
I've been struggling a little with the fact that I can't control everything and that at some point Tanner will probably accept something to eat that he shouldn't and will have to go through something terrible. I want to protect him always, but he needs to not have this hovering mother around him all the time. All I can say is that I'm working on it. If you have advice, let me know. Sorry you have to go through this Tanner, but things could be a lot worse, and we know you can handle it!

8 comments:

Heather Keetch said...

Poor little guy. Good thing Tanner has you to take care of him. You are such a good mom and I'm sure you're so frustrated. I wish I could help.
Let's let the kids play again soon!

Paul and Tammy said...

Poor guy!! I love the last picture, he looks so mad at you guys.

Lindsey said...

Poor guy! I'm so sorry you both have to go through this!

Amber Madsen said...

Oh Poor little guy! Poor Mommy too! You will get used to what he can and can't have. It's hard, but you just have to teach them EARLY that they can't have nuts. My sis-in-law taught her 3 year old to always ask, does this have wheat in it?? It's a pain, but it all works out!

Ashley said...

Hi Michelle, my niece is allergic to practically everything. Okay maybe not everything, but lots of stuff (peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, milk). I know my sister has a website that she goes to I think it is called Utah food allergy network. Not sure if this is the web adress, but I bet you could google it and find it. She also cooks with a cookbook that she really likes I think it is called the food allergy mama's cookbook. Hopefully he will outgrow his allergies.

Tim and Heidi said...

That face is so cute! He may be mad, but that makes a good picture!Hopefully he'll grow out of it!

Eli and Candace said...

Oh, I feel bad for him too. I've never even heard of tree nuts?!?! I don't know how to make it easier other than being the hoovering mother and people would just have to accept it, until he's old enough to watch out for himself.

Young family said...

Poor little guy- We hope you have a great Holiday!