Sunday, January 13, 2008

Tales of a First Grade Nothing

So, I've been thinking a lot lately about my first graders this year. Never before have I had such an interesting group.
One day before Christmas, we were writing about what we see that is different at Christmas. One little boy who doesn't talk much as it is, wrote this, "At Christmas time I see a tree and a baby." Then he drew a picture of the Nativity scene. When the rest of my students had written presents and Santa, this was a very touching moment.
A few days later, I had another student pull me aside just before recess and say, "I can't go out to recess...I'm allergic to snow." This was a funny moment.
This week I had a student (if you have read the post about the runaways, you'll remember her as H=Hellion...) who came in to my class yelling at me. This was an angry moment.
I have decided that, at least most of the time, the touching and funny moments out-weigh the angry ones.
Anyway, just thought I'd share...

2 comments:

Erika said...

Agreed! The good moments do out weigh the bad, however I was just complaining to Justin that I didn't want to teach tomorrow. Oh well, only one more week for me. THANK GOODNESS!

Anonymous said...

Kids are so clever. I love the comment about being allergic to snow..So funny!